Monday, March 10, 2008

Oh those amazing songs!!!

Many years ago when Vonda and I were younger (probably about 15 - 18 years ago) we would spend a couple of weeks during the summer with our cousins, Debby, Stacy, Kelly and their parents, Rita and Johnny Allen. We would have so much fun those 2 weeks. We would have themed dinners, we learned to bargain shop and the oh so many parenting lessons I learned from Rita.

Just a couple of examples, soon after Kelly was born, we were visiting and it was her bedtime. Kelly woke up and started crying, we were the first on the scene to find the paci. I was an amateur, I turned on the light because I could not find that small thing. I am not for sure how Rita knew I turned the light on because she was in the kitchen and were down the hall around the corner but she did. (Moms have eyes and ears everywhere.) Soon after that I learned how to feel around in the dark. That lesson came in very handy when Brody was young and I was feeling around for a paci at 2:00 a.m. Next was on the many trips to Fort Worth to go shopping (at Target, of course) and to the zoo. It never failed that Debby and Stacy would get into sometime of disagreement. Vonda was usually sitting between them but Rita's arm, my gosh how it grew, she could reach both of them with one sweep. I always thought to myself, how does she do that. Well, I learned. Now my arm can reach all the way across the back seat while driving. You can do amazing things when you are a mom.

Debby and Kelly were great singers also. They could make up songs about nothing and everything, especially Gan. Their Gan was always better than our Gan, or so they thought. I would think, those are some crazy girls. Now when I am driving down the road, I am listening to some great music. Some of it I understand but most I do not. Brody is quiet the little showman. He puts on lots of shows for us in the living room, dancing and singing.

Thanks to all the York's for the many parenting lessons I learned. They have come in handy.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Someone once told me the best birthcontrol was to go stay with the Yorks for awhile. Love ya mom

Vonda & Edgar said...

I don't know how I never got caught in the crossfire...Remember the Hole in the Bucket song? That one was classic! ~Vonda

Anonymous said...

Um... I take offense to your birthcontrol comment Mrs. Anonymous! I don't remember us ever fighting... at least not sweet lil' me! I LOVED the Hole in the Bucket song!! Ok, so maybe we fought a little bit. I remember Mom telling us yall wouldn't want to come visit if we were ugly while yall were there, then yall got big and didn't want to come anymore. I figured we were finally just THAT bad! I love all of you and can't wait to see you all soon!